Broderick Stephen Harvey, Sr. (born January 17, 1957) is a renowned American actor, comedian, producer, TV host, and radio personality who is professionally known as Steve Harvey.
He began his career as a stand-up comedian before switching to acting. Interestingly, his film and television debuts happened almost concurrently. But his long-running program, The Steve Harvey Show, which aired from 1996 to 2002, is what made him famous.
Real Facts About Steve Harvey
- Full Name: Broderick Stephen Harvey, Sr.
- Stage Name: Steve Harvey
- Born: 17 January 1957
- Age: 65 years old (2022)
- Place of Birth: Welch, West Virginia, United States
- Nationality: American
- Parents: Eloise Vera, Jesse Harvey
- Siblings: Terry Harvey, Mona Harvey, Pauline Harvey
- Wife: Marcia Harvey (m. 1981–1994), Mary Lee Harvey (m. 1996–2005), Marjorie Elaine Harvey (m. 2007)
- Children: Lori Harvey, Wynton Harvey, Jason Harvey, Morgan Harvey, Brandi Harvey, Broderick Harvey Jr., Karli Harvey
- Occupation: Comedian • TV Personality
- Net Worth: N/A
Early Life & Education
Steve Harvey was born on January 17, 1957, in Welch, West Virginia, in the United States. He was born into the family of Jesse Harvey and Eloise Vera.
His father’s name is Jesse Harvey, and he worked as a coal miner, while his mother, a housewife called Eloise Vera.
Steve Harvey has three siblings; a brother named Terry Harvey, and two sisters, Mona Harvey and Pauline Harvey. While growing up as a child, the Harvey family relocated to Cleveland, Ohio, United States.
Steve Harvey graduated from Glenville High School after completing his foundational studies. He attended West Virginia University and Kent State University after receiving his diploma in 1974, where he was a member of the fraternity Omega Psi Phi.
Steve Harvey had a variety of jobs before starting his comedic career, including autoworker, insurance salesman, carpet cleaner, and even mailman.
On October 8, 1985, he gave his very first stand-up comedy performance at Cleveland, Ohio’s Hilarities Comedy Club.
Harvey took part in the second Johnnie Walker National Comedy Search in 1990. His participation in the talent search allowed him to host the music television program. It’s Showtime at the Apollo.
He eventually landed the lead role in the 1994 ABC television series Me and the Boys.
Steve Harvey experienced a significant career breakthrough in 1996 when he assumed hosting duties for his long-running program, The Steve Harvey Show, which lasted until 2002. In the African-American community, in particular, the show enjoyed enormous popularity.
Steve Harvey continued to perform stand-up comedy shows alongside his work on television. Together with other stand-up comedians, he performed a variety of sketches that were eventually collected into a DVD film called The Original Kings of Comedy.
In 2010, Steve Harvey also served as the presenter of Celebrity Family Feud. When he did his final stand-up comedy performance in August 2012, his 27-year career as a comic finally came to an end.
One month after his last stand-up performance, Steve Harvey launched his talk show, The Steve Harvey Show. It ran until 2016, at which point Steve, a new syndicated talk program, debuted in November of that year. He had more creative flexibility on the latter show.
Aside from appearing in movies and television, Steve Harvey has contributed significantly to the radio. He is the host of the daily morning radio show The Steve Harvey Morning Show, which debuted in 2005 and is still going strong.
Steve Harvey has hosted the Miss Universe competition since 2015. He emceed the recent event in Las Vegas as well as the final ones in Las Vegas and the Philippines. In 2015, he accidentally declared Ariadna Gutiérrez, Miss Colombia, the winner of the Miss Universe.
Awards & Achievements
- The prestigious Daytime Emmy Award has been won by Steve Harvey five times in various categories. He has additionally received 14 NAACP Image Awards.
- In 2011, he was awarded the BET Humanitarian Award.
- He won the 39th People’s Choice Award in the Favorite New Talk Show Host category in 2013.
- That year, he was also awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- He was admitted to the NAB Broadcasting Hall of Fame in 2014.
- East 112th Cleveland, where Steve Harvey grew up, was given the name Steve Harvey Way in 2015.
- Steve Harvey received an honorary doctorate from Alabama State University a year later