The body of a 31-year-old former Ghana international Christian Atsu has been found after a devastating earthquake in Turkey, local media reported on Saturday.
Wakadaily reported on February 6, 2023 that no fewer than 2,300 people were killed in the twin earthquakes that occurred along the Turkey and Syria border on Monday.
The Ghanaian had been reported missing following the devastating earthquakes. Hatayspor’s spokesperson, previously said the footballer had been found alive but was injured. Which turns out to be false.
However, his manager in Turkey, Murat Uzunmehmet, told DHA news agency on Saturday that his body had been found under the rubble in the Turkish southern province of Hatay.
“We have reached his lifeless body. His belongings are still being removed. His phone was also found,” Uzunmehmet told DHA.
Ghana’s ministry of foreign affairs said it had “received the unfortunate news”.
“The elder brother and twin sister of Christian Atsu and an officer of the (Ghanaian) embassy were present at the site when the body was recovered.
The ministry added in a statement that it was working with the Turkish government to organise the transport of the body back to Atsu’s home country for burial.”
Midfielder Christian Atsu spent four seasons at Chelsea before a permanent transfer to Newcastle in 2017.
Atsu played in 258 matches and scored 24 goals. He signed last September for Turkish Super Lig side Hatayspor