The National Board for Technical Education, NBTE has revealed how HND holders can convert their certificate to BSc through one-year online programme.
Higher National Diploma holders can now convert their certification to Bachelor’s Degree through online top-up for one year, with foreign accredited universities.
This was contained in a statement made available to journalists in Abuja on Monday by NBTE’S Head of Media Unit, Mrs Fatima Abubakar.
Abubakar said: “Attempts in the past to get the National Universities Commission to approve a two-year Master of Technology for HND holders in some polytechnics did not see the light of the day.
Many times, HND Holders are forced to go for a one-year Postgraduate Diploma before they could be admitted into the Master’s Program in Universities.
”The disadvantage of the PGD is that holders who continue to do PhD and wish to migrate to a Nigerian University will always be queried to produce their first degree, even when they have doctorates.
”To end this unwarranted prejudice, NBTE has now created this progression pathway for HND holders. This can be accessed at https://topup.nbte.gov.ng”.
The board noted that another challenge facing many polytechnic HND graduates was mobilisation for the National Youth Service Corps.
She said: “NBTE has now created a HND admission portal for use by all polytechnics. Only accredited programmes shall be visible on the portal and NYSC shall have viewing rights to know admitted candidates to be mobilised.
”This will hopefully bring an end to illegal HND admissions of unaccredited programmes and at the same time ensure carrying capacities are adhered to for quality assurance.
”Finally, the board wishes to appeal to Mr President to please sign the bill removing the HND-BSc Dichotomy in the public service as passed by the last National Assembly.
”This is to end the unjust and undeserved discrimination against graduates of the polytechnic system.”
Below are steps for converting your HND certificate to BSc.
- “You must own a HND certificate in one of the recognised and approved polytechnics and monotechnics.
2. Visit the admission portal https://admission.topup.nbte.gov.ng and log in if you have already created an account.
3. Supply all your details in relation to your HND which you already have.
4. After creating the account you can move ahead to submission of a new application.
5. The university’s programs chosen should align with the technical and vocational fields covered by NBTE.
6. After selecting a course of your choice, you will get the option to select which institute you want to study at and there you can see their program fees followed by a button to even view details about the institute on their institutional profile page.
7. After submitting the form you will see the application status under the ‘my applications’ tab and you can go ahead with the submission of the form fees (USD 100) to enable the university to start processing your admission.
8. You can further go to the payments tab to download your fees receipt for the application form fee payment.
9. After the university has approved your admission, then you can go to my application and download your admission letter.”