The Federal Government on Tuesday filed a fresh case against the suspended governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele.
Nigerian government also applied to withdraw the charge of illegal possession of firearms and ammunition filled against the immediate past CBN governor.
The Director of Public Prosecutions at the Federal Ministry of Justice Mohammed Bakodo Abubakar approached the federal high court in Ikoyi with an oral application.
According to him, the withdrawal followed the result of further investigations. He added that, a fresh charges with 20 counts had been filed against Emefiele at the Federal High Court, Abuja.
However, Emefiele’s counsel, Mr Joseph Daudu (SAN), however, opposed the application.
Daudu said: “We have an application that the government has flouted the court’s order which says the respondent/ defendant should be remanded at the Nigeria Correctional Service.
“The court granted an order of substituted service to be published in three national dailies, and after that, the prosecution brought an application for stay of execution of the bail order”.
He insisted that the application for withdrawal of charges must be in writing.
“In the interest of justice, we need to prevent abuse of legal processes. I urge the court to reject the application and order the learned DPP to go on with today’s business”.
WAKADAILY reported on 27 July that the Federal High Court sitting in Lagos granted Godwin Emefiele bail in the sum of N20 million with one surety in like sum.